Friday, February 11, 2011

Fruit Chutney


To use the tomatoes that we picked from the garden I deided to make chutney.
I had to modify a few reicpes to suit the ingredients I had here and the end result is really good so I will share what I did here.

1kg tomatoes, skinned and chopped
2 large onions, diced
2 large apples* peeled and diced
700g sugar
3/4 cup sultanas
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tbs salt
1 tsp whole cloves
3.5 cups vinegar

Combine all ingredients over a low heat in a heavy base pan. 
Stir until sugar is disolved and simmer for about 2.5 hours. 
Pour into sterilised jars.

*The apples on my tree are still a bit green, so I used apple puree that I had instead.


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this looks so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have you tried tomato jam?
    crazy good & will use tomatos likes theres no tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks divine!

    We've just moved and left a stack of tomato plants behind :'(

    Enjoy your delicious looking chutney.

    Ps. I skipped over to your cooking post from your 'my creative space' post, the name tag looked very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love fruit chutney - am giving this a go this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your welcome comments.