Thursday, October 28, 2010

Washing Liquid

I ran out of washing powder the other day and I was reminded that I had seen a recipe for home made laundry liquid on the Down to Earth blog.  I had all the ingredients needed so made a batch.

Method:
1 cup lux flakes, 1/2 cup borax and 1/2 cup of washing soda dissolved in 1.5 litres of water.  Add that to a further 8 litres of water and mix.  Put in containers leaving room to invert as it separates out a lot.


It is doing a good job of cleaning the clothes, but I do use about 2/3 cup rather than the 1/4 cup recommended by Rhonda Jean.  Maybe my average load of clothes is dirtier?  Doesn't matter, it is still easy, and much cheaper than buying washing powder in town.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome Becky! I make it in powder form (with grated sunlight soap), and it seems to do a good job for us. I have tried it without the borax so I could use the wash water on the garden but it doesn't seem to work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Becky, well done. I made my second batch a couple of weeks ago, using the soap I made back in March or somthing like that. It's going great and you get so much from just a little bit of soap. Hopefully I'm saving a fortune :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done - does it work in front loaders??? I prefer powder to liquid (dont know why!)
    Down to Earth has great things on it:) I am going to make some of the dog food on there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using it in powdered form for ages and I love it.

    To Kylie, yes it does work in front loaders - that's what I have. I also add vinegar to the fabric softener slot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the powder form and found it worked well, must start alternating again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your welcome comments.