Friday, June 19, 2009

On the Shelf ~ June 19th

I have not really read much of late, but the last book I read was so good I felt that I HAD to tell EVERYONE about it.

It is the best book I have read all year, and it was the book club book that I picked up yesterday, and finished in one sitting. I love book clubs for introducing you to the odd gem you may not have discovered otherwise. This book is now on my 'Must Buy' list and even Dear Husband wants to read it. I can't wait for the next book club meeting, in a month, when we discuss this gem!!

The Boy in Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne.
'A book that lingers in the mind for quite some time. It is a subtle, calculatedly simple and ultimately moving story.' Irish Times


To add to the full list of books mentioned HERE that I have read for the year I can now include:

May/June cont...
37. House at Slavation Creek ~ Susan Duncan
38. The Boy in Striped Pyjamas ~ John Boyne

38 books so far, I am traveling along fairly well!

3 comments:

  1. OK, I'm mostly caught up on your posts/life now. Glad that the Tupperware arrived - but was it intact?

    I bumped into Ann from bookclab last Friday and she sends her regards. She said that they're read Snow Falling on Cedars - a book I absolutely love. I've been contemplating dropping in to visit the group and at least this would have the advantage of beinb a book I'll have some familiarity with!

    I noticed that TBiSP is a movie now. I remember seeing a picture book with this as the plotline - v. sad. There was another picture book, Rose Blanche with a similar plotline. All wrenchingly sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this on my 'to read" list for ages. I'm glad it's good and will keep being patient waiting for it to arrive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is on my to do list to go and buy this book, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your welcome comments.